The Executive Director is responsible for leading and growing Edna Adan Hospital Foundation’s work and reputation in Women’s Health in Somaliland.
POSITION DESCRIPTION/CORE FUNCTION
Edna Adan Hospital Foundation (EAHF) seeks a talented, visionary, results-driven Executive Director to lead the overall development of a startup organization based in Washington, DC. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and will have overall strategic and operational responsibility with the following goals: staff development, program expansion, and mission execution. The Executive Director must demonstrate a passion for EAHF’s mission and working with others in a leadership role. We’re seeking a leader that can develop strategies that will take our startup organization to the next level. This position offers continuous improvement and growth that uses goal-setting, reflection, and collaboration to cultivate the knowledge, and skills necessary for success.
PRIMARY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Management and Leadership:
- Executive Director will attend official events: fundraising events, new program inaugurations and public relations events; act as a liaison between their organizations and a range of external stakeholders
- Oversee volunteer recruitment and staff hiring in NY, DC, and Hargeisa and surrounding towns and villages in Somaliland.
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance- and outcomes-based organization and staff;
- Must be able to establish and maintain working relations with representatives of the media• Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
Fundraising, Development and Communications:
- Overall Campaign management and organization including planning, database management, strategy, task assignments, and maintenance of timelines.
- Serving as the face of the organization while creating and maintaining strong ties and advocating on behalf of EAHF
- Developing and executing strategies that ensure sustainable and diverse funding
- Cultivating new donors and strengthening more donor programs while expanding the donor base
- Exploring, creating and supporting earned-revenue opportunities
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications with the goal of creating a strong and positive image to the public a stronger brand
- Oversight for all fundraising and financial performance metrics, activities, staff and deliverables.
Program Development and Oversight:
EAHF is just 3 years old and the role of programmatic development and oversight is crucial for EAHF to meet its mission and strategic goals.
- Develop a strong and comprehensive training program with defined targeted goals.
- Ensure programs has effective policies and systems in place to successfully implement EAHF’s mission
Governance and Board Relations:
- Develop, maintain, and support a strong Board of Directors; Work with the Board, and hospital to identify and cultivate new corporate and foundation donors to fund the mission and specific programmatic areas
- Develop tools and strategies to optimize Board recruitment and engagement and ensure that Board has the necessary tools to achieve strategic goals
- Responsible for the organization of meetings and must regularly attend all meetings.
SKILL SETS AND ATTRIBUTES
- Proven leadership, coaching, and relationship management experience
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage work and supervise others
- Willingness to commit to Foundation’s mission, vision and goals
- Strong financial acumen & ability to manage budget
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and oral communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Develop and implement annual reports, multi-year year operational and strategic
- Begin to build partnerships in new markets, establishing relationships with the funders, and political and community leaders
- Coordinate grant needs and deadlines
- Graduate degree preferred; 7-10+ year experience senior management experience in nonprofit sector, international health or related field required.
- Strategic thinking, creativity and decision-making ability; Problem solving skills, and political judgment
- Issues working on healthcare in Africa, experience in Somaliland added plus
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, manage a budget and ability to raise significant funds during directorship.
- Computer literacy required, and willingness to become comfortable with all MS Suite Programs, Email, Mailchimp, and Salesforce.
Compensation: Please submit salary requirements.
Location: Washington, DC and New York City
Preferred start date: Immediately
Travel required. Domestic and International Travel up to 25%
Duration: Full time, Exempt Employee, 40 hours/week
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. To apply please send CV and cover letter to email@example.com. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
About the Edna Adan Hospital Foundation:
As of May 2014, the WHO estimates that 800 women die in childbirth every day, the majority in developing countries. EAHF is a non-profit 501 (c)(3) established in 2013 in honor of Former First Lady of Somalia and Foreign Minister of Somaliland, Dr. Edna Adan Ismail. EAHF works to end preventable child and maternal death in Somaliland and to eradicate the practice of Female Genital Mutilation. EAHF’s mission is to provide all Somaliland women the opportunity for healthy pregnancies and safe childbirths, to provide all infants with the healthy start they deserve, and to eliminate the practice of Female Genital Mutilation. You can learn more: www.ednahospitalfoundation.org